Church

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

John’s Quick Health Report – and a God Story!

After a quick decision last Thursday in my cardiologist’s office, I underwent a cardio catheterization at Broward General on Monday, 2/16/2009. All three of the primary coronary arteries had very significant blockage – evidently in the 80%-90% ranges. The first one was “beautifully” repaired with a medicinal stent. The second will be repaired in about 5 weeks. The third will never be repaired as it is congenitally damaged and irreparable.

I already feel better and expect that the second repair will be even more noticeable. What it seems to have done for me is give me more energy. I had not had much in the way of symptoms except for a lack of energy and trouble with stairs and quick movements. I was blaming those symptoms on having one lung. But I just had a nagging sensation that something was not right. As it turns out, I was a “walking time bomb”.

By the way, I have had a whole lot of cardio workups done in the last two years due to the lung cancer and diabetes. There had only been a suggestion last August in a stress test that maybe there should be some follow-up but my previous cardiologist was in no hurry. I do not mean in any way that he was wrong. The current cardiologist saw that, did a little listening to me and to my heart and simply asked how soon I wanted to have him go in. After a bit of a recoil, I said let’s get it over.

The procedure was painless. Of course the valium, morphine and versed helped. But having to lie quietly for 12 hours was torture till they got me sufficiently doped up. I had already made it perfectly clear that I had absolutely no interest in the procedure itself and was out for it. The most interesting part of the whole operation to me was as follows. After six hours they remove a sleeve that they have around the femoral artery where they went in, using millions of dollars of equipment and a whole lot of computer guidance. But then a human, in this case a very nice and experienced RN, uses her thumb to press down on the femoral artery for 20-30 minutes. The artery repairs itself, they hope. Otherwise, things get really, really dicey. But I kept praying that that thumb was God’s thumb. As always, it was!

Now – a bit of a God story! The cardio assistant took all my history before the doctor came in the room, meticulously writing down my now rather complicated medical history. Then Dr. Chizner came in and, as were were chatting, mainly about FBCFL and Pastor Thompson, I mentioned that I had gotten “my new heart” in 2004. He smiled but, at the same time, we both noticed the assistant rise up in her seat, stricken that I had not mentioned that I had a heart replacement. After both the Doctor and I managed to quit giggling, I got to do a little testifying by way of explaining what my “new heart” was. He always gives us a way to do HIs work, doesn’t He. We just need to see it and use it.

And on that line, my wonderful wife Linda and dedicated, great friend Brian Doyle were there, as was ever faithful Toni Hamilton. I think, between the three of us, we must have about 10 nurses and family members coming to the next Pageant.

My health journey for the last several years has been a bit troubling at times. I don’t think anyone likes to feel like a 63 year old sicky. I mean high fevers to cancer to hypertension to diabetes and now coronary artery disease would have had me railing at the world – bitter, at the least very, very grouchy, and very unpleasant to be around. But finding the Lord in 2004 altered that. I have been able to face this with equanimity and peace. I know where I am going and I know that I will go when He wants me. I only pray throughout whatever journey remains that I am able to figure out what He wants me to do, to learn where He would have me be.

Vaya con Dios, my brothers and sisters, actual or to be, and thank you for all your prayers……………

No comments:

Post a Comment